Rhythm
It’s a shock to see her like this:
Chair-bound. Blanket-wrapped.
Unable to turn to greet me,
To welcome me into her home.
My heart beats once –
A silence: something stricken –
Twice, and I step into view.
My mind races, back-
Pedaling, wildly grasping
Toward the past, the last
Time we met; the first time.
I can’t even remember the color
Of her hair then (now it’s orange,
Which is, I think, a change),
But I do remember her presence:
Strong. Serene.
Articulate and capable.
Serenity remains.
My heart’s in free fall
But she holds me still
With calm and smiling eyes
A very
Slowly,
Speaks.
Her tempo is a change.
Allegro ma non troppo,
The speed of Wilde and wit,
Has settled into a haunting
Largo,
And in shame I recognize it
As the speed, the speech
Of those whom I ignore,
Of those whom I dismiss
As babblers, fools
With nothing great to say
Because it takes
Me
Too much effort to listen.
I lose a word now and
Then, I respond cheerfully,
Honestly. She tells me of her frustrations.
Most have to do with social,
Not personal injustice,
Which is probably why
She is the top fundraiser for ALS statewide.
She chooses words carefully,
And doles them out, or gives them,
And if they take some unwrapping,
It is the least,
The very least,
That I can do.
Before long I am on my way,
Accelerating down the freeway
At 70 mph.
But before I go I see
A husband, supporter, helping her to stand,
A son, taking time to sit beside her,
A daughter, talking as fast as ever,
Talking with her mom exactly as before,
And some tupperware from the neighbors,
Full of watermelon.
The symphony continues:
Sweet, and slow.

No comments:
Post a Comment